Tuesday, May 3, 2011

So Busy, So Little to Show for it.

Somehow, in anticipation for our little one, each day seems to drag on and on. Yet, despite the sense of "added time" in each day, I haven't been very productive at all.

The only project I have managed to complete since my last blog post 2 weeks ago is my niece's dress. Not both, just one. I haven't even cut out the other one. The first dress was the first garment I've made since 10th grade, and it was quite frustrating! I got a little worn out from it and decided to take a bit of break before sewing the next one. I am not a huge fan of the way the pattern was put together, so I may try to change things for the next dress.

They were supposed to be Easter dresses, but now I'm thinking they can be "Meet my new cousin" dresses.

The whole front

The Bodice

The back
I originally picked this dress to sew because I thought it would fit my niece's requirement for a good dress - the ability to "flat out". Meaning, if she twirls, the dress raises and flattens and twirls with her. Unfortunately, this dress probably won't be able to do this. I'll make sure the next dress I make for her will be able to.

-----------------------------------------------
Here's my to do list for before the baby arrives:


1. Design a purse for a friend, buy fabric for that purse, and sew it.
              I've been having trouble with this one. Her birthday party was a few days ago, and due to feeling under the weather I wasn't able to go. I did, however, promise her a purse, so a purse she will get. The problem: the only thing I've ever "designed" is a patchwork pillow. It had very specific dimensions and only had rectangular pieces. I've been trying to find a pattern that will work for her online and in stores, but seriously nothing seems right! So, wish me luck as I try to figure out how to sew a zipper, and put together a purse from the first real pattern I've ever created. At least I have a zipper foot! The only other time I've sewn a zipper, it was on a dress in 10th grade, and I had to sew it by hand. It sucked.

2. Sew dress #2 for niece #2.
               I've just gotta suck it up and do this! And I better do it quickly - this baby could arrive any day now!

3. Sew a "plain bag" for my BFF.
               Megan wanted a simple tote bag for her books. She already has a "fashion statement" purse that she carries to school, but she also needs a purse that will carry her books and not clash with her other bag. I was supposed to sew this a long time ago, but I can't find one of the elements the pattern calls for, and I also don't know if the purse she picked out will reliably hold her books. I'm trying to find a way to make it more stable.

4. Finish the rag quilt I've started for Autumn. 
               I've started sewing my first ever quilt. I've run into some trouble since I don't have a walking foot, which seems to be essential for sewing layers of fabric. But, I'm going to finish this quilt without it, since it's not your typical quilt. Here's a link to the tutorial I'm following for this project: Creations by Kara.

-----------------------------------------------


This isn't obvious by pictures that I post on here, but I love great photography. I especially love great photos of babies, weddings, engagements, families, etc. Recently, I tried to convince Dan that we needed to find a photographer to take pictures of the baby when she's 1-2 weeks old and then at different intervals throughout her first year. But, photographers are expensive! Well, they're priced right for their talent, their time, and what you get from each session, but it's more than we want to spend in a year on pictures. Instead, Dan convinced me (this must have been some weird reverse psychology that I subconsciously did, because I've wanted this outcome for a LONG time) that we need to buy our own camera so that we can have an unlimited amount of pictures! Although I won't be able to take as wonderful of pictures as most professionals can, at least I can take them whenever I want and in whatever situation. Here's the beauty we'll be buying within the next 2 days:


Until next time,
Amy

4 comments:

  1. Um, I will take photos for you! Just fly me up there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH! Where is my bag, pregnant lady?! Lol, SO KIDDING! I'm actually totally prepared for the reality of having a baby to push my bag back to next year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. I hope I'm not that hopeless when she arrives. I'll hopefully have it finished by the time you guys come up here this summer... assuming that is still happening?!?!

    ReplyDelete