Wednesday, May 4, 2011

An Unexpected Handmade Wonder

About a week ago I went to our apartment complex's office to pick up a package I'd received.

The sender: Bhagavati. One of my best friends growing up.
The gift: This lovely home-sewn quilt with a wonderful story behind it.


YES! Those are snowmen!

Instead of trying to tell the story myself, I figured I'd just retype the wonderful letter she sent with it.

Now this gift has a bit of a story behind it, some of which I hope you already know, that being associated with the somewhat out-of-place blue snowman patches on the quilt intended for your Spring daughter (but perhaps appropriate since her intended name is Autumn!). These patches were once your pajama pants that were stolen by me at some slumber party or other between grades 2 and 8. Although they were always a big to be for me (or because) I love those pants to death! They were so soft and comfy and warm in the Winter! I wore them all through high school and brought them to Massachusetts with me to college. They kept me warm despite a large hole in the crotch that I had patched at least once. 

By late 2009 (that's at least a 10 year old pair of PJs) I knew they couldn't be worn anymore but I couldn't throw them out! And no one would buy them and give them the love they deserved (it sounds pretty weird in words now...!). So, what do people make with worn-out fabrics? Quilts! Now I just needed an excuse to make a send a quilt to my friend from 8 years ago with whom I am rarely in touch... can I just say thank goodness you got pregnant?! Not only is it a great excuse for quilt-making, but the quilt (my first finished) can be small, and it has a deadline... something I need to get anything done. 


So, I bought the fabric in the Fall... trying to stay pretty neutral and I think it walks that color line quite well! I apologize for the not-professional-standard machine top-stitching... best I could do with my limited resources, and I really hope you use and enjoy it! 


When I received this, I had just the week before that thought to myself, "what ever happened to those snowmen pajamas??" It was such a wonderful surprise to receive this quilt! I don't know what she's apologizing for with the top stitching -- it is simply perfect! I can't wait to take photos of Autumn all wrapped up in it and eventually tell her the story behind it, as well. 

I'm so blessed to have such talented and thoughtful friends!!
Thank you, Bhagavati!

--------------------------------------------------------

One last thing before I sign out - I wanted to share a photo of Roo (a.k.a. Kitty) that I've taken with my new camera. I NEVER get to take pictures of her without her eyes looking evil, so I'm pretty excited about this one! :)


I'm obviously still learning about the camera, how to focus it properly, and how to take decent pictures... be patient. :) 

Until next time,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment