Monday, May 9, 2011

An Ode to My Mothers

"All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother." - Abraham Lincoln 


And here is my one and only Momma. :) This is probably my favorite picture of all time. We don't have very many pictures together at all. In fact, every time she comes home from China I think, "let's take pictures together!"... It never happens. But if we never have another picture together, that's okay, because this one is perfect. She looks so beautiful! I like that you can tell we're mother and daughter because I have her smile and her eyes. I'm blessed with a beautiful Momma - inside and out. Her laughter is my favorite thing about her. It's so goofy, unpredictable, and infectious. It's impossible not to laugh when she laughs and she laughs all the time! She taught me to never be shy of being yourself and to always do what makes you happy. Actually,  here's a little story from when I was growing up - Every time I would ask my mom to buy me something like shoes or a shirt or a backpack she would ask why I wanted it. If I ever said, "because everyone else has it", she would never buy it for me. It's true. I'd say this is where my unique "style" comes from. (I know 2 people who are probably cracking up laughing at the fact that I think I have any "style" at all ::cough cough:: Megan and Shane ::cough cough::)


I can't say that my Mom has been my only motherly influence in my life. There is, of course, my step-mom Lynda, who has always done her best to include me as one of her own children and has been such a positive influence on my life. She is always full of wisdom and never hesitates to help anyone who needs it. My dad always talks about his step-mom as being one of his favorite people and when he and Lynda got married he wished that we would have the same sort of relationship as he did with his step-mom. I'd say his wish definitely came true.

Then there is my mother-in-law who has always been so positive and generous. She has such a wonderful heart of service and I know she will be an awesome role model and grandmother for Autumn. I'm lucky to have the in-laws that I do. :)

I can't forget Mama Purdie, my best friend's mother, whom I call Mama Purdie because we know each other too well and love each other too much for me to refer to her as "Mrs." Every time I took a trip home from college I would always go to their house and from the very first visit, I always felt like I had another home. I miss being able to participate in her annual Christmas cookie decorating event, and I really really miss her hugs! She gives the best hugs, ever!

And last but not least, all of my "moms" that I grew up with on the Ashram. One amazing thing about living in a community where dinner is shared all together, house chores are split between residents, and everywhere you go you're bound to see someone, is that there was never a lack of positive motherly influence in my life. From my teachers to women that lived in the house with me to my friend's moms, I have had so many loving and caring mother figures. I owe much of who I will be as a mother to all of those women.

So, to all you mommas out there, Happy Mother's Day! (I know it's a day late, but when is it ever a bad time to celebrate your moms?!) Thank you for all of your love and support throughout my life! I can't wait to become a mom and share all of the love you've given me with my daughter.

Amy/Sundari

2 comments: