Wednesday, August 17, 2011

WWW: Puzzle Quilt In-Progress

I'm working on a Puzzle Quilt for Autumn. It's a combination of 9-piece blocks and solid blocks that are staggered. It's pretty cute and seemingly easy to make. Just straight line sewing!

HOWEVER! For some unknown reason, I am consistently making my blocks about 1/2" smaller than they are supposed to be. I am totally confused. The squares are cut to the right size and I'm sewing 1/4" seams. So... why are they too small?!

Fortunately, it's consistent. So, I'm going to adjust the solid blocks down to the size of the 9-piecers and hope that it works.

This is the first "real" quilt that I've made. Meaning, the first quilt that requires the quilt top to be all sewn together first. The only other quilt I made her was this raggy quilt.

I do realize that I'm sewing a quilt that was not actually on my "24 things to accomplish before 24" list. So, I might replace the other quilt with this quilt, unless I find that machine quilting is fun and I'll probably make the 2 other quilts, too! Man, I'm complicated. 

Here is a picture of my work in-progress.



I'm hoping to sew 4-8 blocks per day. That should get me finished with the 9-piece patches in 3-7 days. Then I'll spend one day sewing the individual rows together and pressing them. Then the next day sewing the rows to one another in order to finish the quilt top. Then a day sewing the backing together and pinning the backing to the batting and the top. And finally 2 days to quilt the thing. And one final day to put the sashing around the sides. So... if you could keep up with that... I'm hoping to finish my first real quilt in.....hold on let me count.... 9-13 days. Woot! Oh wait, just kidding, I have company coming (YAYAYAYAYAY!!! My first college roomie is coming up!!!!) on this Sunday and she'll be here for a couple days. So... more like 11-15 days.

And because I love this baby so much, here is a picture of Autumn hanging with her friends, Pig and Ellie, on the raggy quilt I made for her. She is so hysterical sometimes!!!


Until tomorrow,
Amy

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE that quilt! The fabric is so cute and it looking great so far.
    I've start my first quilt. I cut out all of the main fabric then all the fabric of another and started sewing it together. I didn't noticed I was picking up the small pieces and not the squares that are actually supposed to go in the middle, and then I whacked off the edged I thought were to long! Luckily I made sure to put in 1/2" seams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love the fabrics so much! I wanted to do this quilt first because it is made with precuts and jelly rolls. So easy to cut out! I thought I was going crazy because I ended up with 4 extra pieces of each fabric. Then I realized I cut 4 extra pieces. I've got problems. lol.

    Haha. Good luck with your quilt!! I'm glad you didn't have to rip out a thousand seams!! Post up some pictures soon!!

    ReplyDelete